Wednesday, August 24, 2016

A Romance Novelist in the Making!

The story below was written by our teen student Mariana who was inspired by the romantic possibilities in New York City.

A New York Love Story


I graduated from high school with my two best friends.  We wanted to go to college in New York.  Amanda was the smart and realistic girl in the group, Camille was the funny and shy girl, and I, Gabriella, was the romantic and passionate one. We wanted to have a lot of fun, meet some guys and make our dreams come true in New York. We loved New York and wanted to be a part of this busy city. We bought a loft near Downtown because NYU is there.  We were there to study business, art and education.

It was our first day at NYU.  It is a big campus with many people, and the buildings are quite spread out.I am the only one who takes business.  The three of us have different classes. Amanda is in education and Camille in art. The teachers are so good, but I was nervous.

“Are you okay?” asked the guy next to me with a smile.
“Yes, I am okay,” I answered.
“I am Jason,” he said giving me his hand.
“I am Gabriella.” I took his hand and smiled.
“So.. what are you doing in business?” he asked.
“What do you mean?” I asked confused.
“ You seem like a drama student,” he answered.
“What?!” I started to laugh.
“Is everything okay?” asked the teacher.
“Yes,” he answered.
“Are you coming to the welcome party?” he asked.
“Maybe with my friends,” I said.
“See you there,” he said with a smile.

I ran to the education building.  Camille was just getting out.

“We have to go to the education party!” I said very excitedly.
“Why?” she asked.
“Because I met a guy,” I answered.
“Really? Me too!” she said.
We went to the art building and found Amanda drawing something in her notebook.
“Are you ready?” she asked.
“Yes” I answered.

We went home to choose our outfits. I chose a blue shirt, white shorts and high heels. Camille chose a pink dress with flats, and Amanda didn’t want to go.
The party was at the auditorium.  It was very big and full. Camille and I were very shy, but then a girl invited us to dance with her group. A few hours later, Amanda decided to come, and we danced some more.

“Camille,” said Jason heading over to my friend.
“Don’t you remember me?” I asked, very confused.
“I’m sorry, but no,” he answered.
“I am from business,” I said.
“I am in education, sorry,” he said and continued to talk to Camille.
“Amanda,” I called my other friend.
“Yes?” she answered.
“I think I am crazy,” I said.
“Why?” she asked.
“I swear I met a guy today, and he is talking to Camille,” I said.
“Where?” she asked.
“There,” I pointed.
Amanda took off her glasses, and started to clean them.
“Gabriella,” she said.
“Yes?” I asked.
“I met the same guy,” she answered.
“No way!” I started to laugh.
“What are you laughing at?” she asked.  She was very angry.
“This is very funny,” I answered.
We went to find something to drink, and Jason came to us.
“Amanda” he said.

Amanda was drinking coca-cola, and when she saw him, she threw the coca-cola all over  Jason’s shirt.
“Are you crazy?!” he asked.
I was laughing so hard that I couldn’t breathe.
“You flirted with my best friends!” she answered, very angry.
“No, I didn’t,” he answered, very confused.
“You’re a liar,” she said.
“Bro, that coca-cola goes with your eyes,” said a guy exactly like Jason.  He was laughing very hard like me.
“Shut up,” said the other guy.
“Amanda, they’re twins!” I said.
“No, we are triplets,” answered another one.
“He is Henry, the one with the coca-cola is James, and I am Jason,” he said.
Amanda was so embarrassed, Camille was very confused, and I was laughing very hard
“Do you want to go?” asked Jason.
“Yes,” I said.

We went out to the soccer field, and we lay down on the grass.
“I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you about my brothers,” he said.
“It’s okay.  It was funny,” I said with a smile.
“Do you want to go out with me sometime?” he asked.
“Yes, but I have a question,” I said.
“What?” he asked.
“How do I know it’s you and not one of your brothers?” I asked.
He started to laugh.
“Because I have a scar near my eyebrow,” he said.

Two days later, he invited me to Coney Island, and we went to the beach and ate ice cream. We rode all the rollercoasters, he won a teddy bear for me, and we kissed at the top of the ferris wheel.  Amanda went on a date with James to the Brooklyn Bridge.  They drew Manhattan in their notebooks. Camille went to Brooklyn by boat with Henry, and they ate macaroons.

Going to New York was the best thing that ever happened to us.  We found the love of our lives, and our dreams came true.  A few years later, Amanda’s drawings were exhibited in the Whitney Museum, Camille became a great teacher at NYU, and I was working on Wall Street.






No comments:

Post a Comment